Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mountains into Molehills

Here in the PNW we have a little candy company called Brown and Haley.
(Maybe you are familiar with Almond Roca ~ no Christmas is complete without it, just fyi)
Well they also make something called a Mountain Bar. 
I loved these when I was little and hadn't seen them in the store in years.  Yesterday my mom and I were in a little local gift shop and they had them.  I plunked down my 69 cents and chose the Peanut Butter one.
As I was about to rip into it, I decided I would just check to see what the calorie count on this baby was. 
230
It stopped dead in my tracks.  I was so excited for my peanut buttery goodness, but I just couldn't justify that many "empty" calories (especially with something the size of a half dollar) so I put it in my purse.  Later in the day, I decided that if I just ate half of it that would be better than all of it.  I ate half of it and it just wasn't as good as I remembered and certainly not worth the calories I just gave up. 
I was bummed yet proud of myself at the same time. 
The old me would have just popped it in my mouth and not given it a second thought (I might have even gotten a second one for the road, tsk tsk) but my newly more aware self took a second to think, evaluate and then decide. 
 
Even though I still ate half of it, I realized that I won't be temped in the future and a Butterfinger mini packs the same punch (maybe even slightly better) and is on 80 calories. 
It all comes down to choices and every calorie saved gets me that much closer to my goal.

2 comments:

szczawnica said...

very nice blog - regards

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
It's the little changes that produce the largest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Feel free to visit my blog post ... fast cash advance lenders