Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lazy


Of course, I seem to have a million things to do to get ready for Saturday. I still have to shop and prep and of course, clean. But I just can't get motivated. I seem to take one step forward and 2 steps back. We got all ready to do the tree yesterday and then we found out that after a good 10 plus years, our tree has died. Not completely dead we have about 5 lights that still work, but now it requires a decision: real tree or new fake one. One of the very few fights Joj and I have ever had took place in a Christmas tree lot, knee deep in mud in the pouring rain. It was then we made the switch to a fake tree. I guess I will pack the kids up and head over to Big Lots to see if there are any deals to be had. I should probably suck it up and make due and then buy my tree AFTER Christmas for the best deal, but I don't think I can wait. I want my umpa loompa NOW.

So with the house in mild deco chaos, Joj decided he wanted to take cookies with him to work today. I like to bake for him and his buddies, especially when they just approved the new contract so the Boeing engineers will NOT be striking this January. I did, however, start baking a little late in the evening. In doing so I forgot to put the egg in the batter. Ugh!! I hate that. Spend all that time, and more importantly those ingredients, all for nothing. I guess the cookies are okay, but not as good as the should be and when you know what they are supposed to taste like it is hard to go back to sub par cookies. We are cookie snobs, sad, but true. I may put them in the jar and see what happens. The kids might eat them, but at least I won't feel as guilty letting them get stale before I throw them out. Maybe I can crush them up and use them for crumb crusts. Hey, now there is an idea.

The kids have a half day today and I think we will hit the grocery store after lunch. They are almost actually helpful when we shop. However, the large bulk candy isle is what I think keeps them in line. Yes, I'm willing to spend a buck on bulk candy to bribe the kids. I'm not proud, but whatever works at this time of year. And speaking of this time of year, I'm totally stumped as to what to get the kids for Christmas. They need nothing. Ben did ask for new blinds and a fancy foam mattress. Gotta love a kid who can appreciate those practical gifts. Sam on the other hand, not so easy. Everything she sees, she wants. I do think I will put together a craft center type thing for her. She likes to color and cut and stuff like that. Other than that I'm pretty stumped. We usually keep things low key at Christmas since Ben's birthday is right before (big birthday, small Christmas) but it still doesn't make it easier.

Okay, I've twiddled away enough time. The kids will be home in 20 minutes and I should probably get something done other than get caught up on Top Chef. Hello, Fabio :0)
Happy Thursday Everyone :0)

No comments: