Saturday, January 15, 2011

Action not words


On Friday, I had been asked to give a plug for the PTA's Golden Acorn Award. The assembly was celebrating Dr King, so talking about service and giving back it was a no brainer. When I agreed to do the schpeal, I thought the assembly was also a "Student of the Month" recognition which mean there would be a ton of parents there. When I found out it wasn't I was bummed, but it did explain why there were so few parents there. Nevertheless, I gave my speech. It went really well, even if it didn't reach as many parents as I had hoped. Oh well.
When I went to check the mail today I found a little envelope with my name on it. There is just something about receiving something in the mail that isn't a bill, or an ad or some other randomly created, impersonal piece of mail. That little thrill is like a present unto itself. The note was from a friend of mine who had been at the assembly. She said how much she enjoyed my "pitch" and how she had found it inspiring. Wow. This was coming from a woman who constantly amazes me with her commitment to caring and compassion. She is a real go getter in all the right things. While the note was kind, the fact that she made the effort to actually write it and then drive to my house to put it in the mailbox was really touching.
We all think "Oh I should..." "Maybe I will..." and most times those are just words we say. It is when action is taken that makes all the difference.

2 comments:

Debra said...

I often think of sending notes like this but seldom follow through. I know I should & I should try harder to make sure it happens. Glad your speech went well. :)

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.