Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Make it Work

I mentioned before that one of my goals was to rid my life of clutter. The place I'd most like to see this happen is my body. Ugh. Always a battle. A while back, I posted that my friend Holly inspired me to sign up for my first 5K. I did it and survived. We then signed up for a triathlon. I survived that too. However, this year I've decided I want to do more than just survive.

For the past year and half I've been dragging myself out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a few times a week to "workout". That has looked very different at times, but usually it meant a 3 mile walk with some friends. Our neighborhood is hilly so we would huff and puff, but mostly get caught up on all the latest goings ons ~ quality girlfriend time. While it fed the soul, the body needed more.

I decided that if I'm going to go through the effort of getting up that early, I needed to see some results, real results. That meant putting the "work" in working out. Go figure??
One of my favorite Seinfeld quotes is from his dad talking about his heath regime ~ "I eat a plum everyday, that is my regime". Unfortunately, it takes more than that. So I've come up with a regime that will hopefully keep me from getting bored and help strengthen my body.

Sunday~ Step class
Monday ~ rest
Tuesday ~ elliptical/treadmill
Wednesday ~ swim
Thursday ~ elliptical/treadmill
Friday ~ rest
Saturday ~ run


Of course, I couldn't do it without my girlfriends. A support system is crucial to keep you honest and hold you to task when you would rather veg on the couch. I know moving more is on every one's mind this time of year, but if I can do it, ANYONE can do it. The first time I ran I made it two blocks and thought I was going to die. Now I can run three miles and no medics need to be called. That feels pretty good.

No comments: