Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mama Hen


When I was younger and planned my life, I figured I wanted 4 kids. You see I was going to get married at 22 and then have kids at 24, 26, 28 and 30. (I grew up in a family with 3 kids and I didn't want to have a "middle" child so 4 kids just made sense) Well, that didn't happen. Ben and Sam came along at 29 and 32. Two kids and Joji was done. I must admit that 2 seems a little small, but the thought of another girl...yeah, not a chance. If Sam had been a boy, I could see us trying for a third. Win, win either way, but 2 girls...no way. So here we are with our little happy family of 4. Sometimes when we are out and I see larger families I get a little envious.
A few times over the past couple of weeks I have had a couple of chances to sit for our good friends who have 2 little kids (4 &1). I must admit it is fun to pretend I'm a mom of 4. It is so interesting how the dynamics of this little group work. Ben takes charge, Sam and Enzo fall in line and Lily keeps me on my toes. Even still, there is a rhythm that sets in and I'm still able to get a few things done. Time flies pretty quickly when I'm watching them. They are such good kids. It is fun to pretend, but also nice to be able to return to the land of just 2 kids. At the end of the day, I got lucky with Ben and Sam, they are pretty amazing kiddos. I wouldn't trade them for anything :0)

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Isn't it funny how your family dreams sometimes turn out different but still are great? In my 20s, I watched friends get married and thought it was never going to happen to me and just decided I would be Mary Tyler Moore or something. Then I met my husband and now I have a family. It's not as large as I thought it might be, but it's great!

Jenny said...

Yes. I know what you mean. I wanted 6 kids, but it just didn't end up that way.
It seems to me the more kids you have, the routine just happens. I like looking after my nieces, then I pretend to have 5.