Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The lost art of baked goods


Maybe I am a dying breed, but I like to bake. I love making cookies. One of my favorite Christmas gifts was my yellow kitchen aid. I enjoy showing up to places with a basket of warm cookies and watching them disappear. I especially enjoy the look on peoples face when I tell them, "yes, I did make these from scratch". I find humor in the fact that people will spend $15 on a tub of cookie dough that would cost $3 to make (not to mention you get twice as many cookies)But I feel my kind are slowly disappearing.
More and more it seems "baking" has turned into a trip to Costco. Don't get me wrong Costco has a great bakery, but I think it has become some type of mandate that no group of people are allowed to gather without a tray of costco muffins!! I recently was in charge of putting together food for "Parent Day" at our school. Wanting to prove a point that we could serve food without spending a bunch of money, I called some fellow parents and I was able to put out quite a nice spread (if I do say so my self) for free. We had cookies, bagels, quick breads and brownies- something for everyone. We also had a tray of costco muffins that were donated. Everything was gone before those muffins were touched. Hmmmmm...
I know lives are busy, but isn't that even more of a reason to take the time to slow down and actually make something? In a world of "instant everything", I want my kids to know how to "do" and not just where to buy. We make goodies you can only get from our (and Nana's) kitchen and I know that someday Ben and Sam will be making those same goodies with their kids.

6 comments:

Kellie said...

I have the exact same yellow mixer! And I'm with you -- homemade stuff outranks anything bought... I'm always amazed that people think they don't have time to bake. It takes as much time to drive to the store (for me, Costco is a 15 minute drive away) as it does to bake a batch of cookies!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Anne. I totally agree! I often think that if I've got time to load four kids into the car to go buy something, then wait at the checkout, then I've got time to make it at home!

Unknown said...

I agree as well - it's so much nice to show up with things you made, and to have a jar full of home-made cookies rather than ones from a package. I love my Kitchen Aid as well - mine is black. I love using it.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Colors of Me said...

Hi Laurie Anne :) I've been lurking for a bit, but just wanted to tell you that I totally agree. I love baking and you just can't beat freshly baked homemade cookies!! I am wishing for that kitchen aid though. Maybe this year :)
~~LoriAnn

~*Marie*~ said...

thanks for commenting on my blog. I too love to bake, cook anything from scratch really. I make my own bread, ice cream, pasta, I grate my own cheese and bread crumbs, I make my own vanilla extract...I just love to make things myself because they are so much better than store bought!!!

Fahlman said...

I like baking but as a student who has moved four times in the past four years, fitting it in has been a challenge, but I'm enjoying the summer and finding time to learn new dishes that will keep for a few days so that when school comes around again I can feast on left overs.