Wednesday, January 21, 2009

If you can't say something nice...


If you are going to call someone out, have the decency to say it to their face. You see on blogs all the time how folks will leave a mean comment and hide behind "anonymous". This is really sad.
Over the past few months my community has been involved in a couple of delicate situations regarding teachers. In both cases, venomous statements were made by people unwilling to stand up publicly. How can they sleep at night?
Sure, you may feel like you want to lash out, but is that really the best approach? By actually owning what you say, you are forced to think about what you want to say, how you want to say it and determine if the consequences of saying it are really worth it.
I recently was sent an email that was sent to friends of mine regarding the school in which my children used to attend. The sender created an account just to send this email so no one would know who they were. The email was full of misinformation and heresy, not to mention flat our mean. I went through about 4 drafts in response to the "whistle blower" email, but since I was going to sign my name, I wanted to make sure my message was clear and respectful. With each draft, the tone softened. I have to say that I was pretty proud of my final draft. The real kicker was when I sent it, the email came back due to the email being disabled. How do you like that? They could obviously dish it out, but couldn't take it. Truly sad.
In a world of faceless communication, I think it is more important than ever to be advocates of manners and compassion. Just because you can say whatever you want doesn't always mean you should. If you say it, own it. Geesh.
That's Laurie's Lesson for today. I'm off for some jury duty.
Happy Humpday :0)

2 comments:

Debra said...

So true, some people just think it's okay to say whatever since no one will know that it came from the. Cowards. Have a good day at jury duty..

~*Marie*~ said...

It's funny you should post about that, our local newspaper allows annonymous comments to articles and the annonymous ones are the worst, the ones where people put there names are more respectful. I used to allow comments to be posted to my blog w/o my approval but I got some really raunchy ones, so now I have to approve every comment....it's a sad commentary on the state of the world today!