Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thrifty Finds in '09

So we have been really enjoying the sloth mentality around here lately. I can't believe that school is back in on Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It will be nice to have the house a little more quiet and I can continue to purge the house without "help", but then again it will be just me kicking around. I do have to say that as always the new year inspires me to want a fresh start. Our winters here are SO VERY GRAY that I'm really feeling the need to lighten up the house. Of course, the best way to make a house feel lighter is a trip to the old G-Dub (Goodwill) However, I'm afraid that it is more effective when you are donating instead of shopping :0)

Today my mom and I hit the local G-dub. All of their Christmas stuff was 59 cents. Didn't matter what it was it was 59 cents. They had a bunch of boxes of really pretty ornaments that would have been perfect to make one of those ornament wreaths, but I resisted. Most of the stuff was pretty picked over but we did find two MAJOR scores. My mom spotted this Fitz and Floyd Santa plate and I thought it was cute. I had looked at one similar earlier this season, but didn't want to spend the money, but for 59 cents how can you pass it up? As we were walking towards the check out my mom this Fitz and Floyd water pitcher. Now it is a bit much as far as my tastes are concerned, but again for 59 cents?? While we were looking at it, another lady came up and said, "you know it has a chip" (yes, I very small one you have to look to see) and "it seems like it would be a a pain to store all year" (yes, probably) "I don't think they will give it to you for 59 cents. It way too nice of a piece" (do we detect some sour grapes?) Long story short, we got both pieces for $1.18.

Now whenever we get a screaming deal, we always go home and check it out on line. This pitcher is no longer on the FF site, so I'm thinking it is retired. However, similar ones on ebay were going for $60-75. Bottom line, great score. I have a couple of other "old world" type santa things, so I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere for it. If not, I can always ebay it to feed my thrift store habit.


Speaking of thirfting, I think I have converted my son Ben. We were at another G-dub recently and guess what he found. A brand new looking and working Homedics Massage Recliner. It was only $40, so he bought it (or at least half of it) It is now sitting proudly in his room. Again, we went on line and it turns out that his chair is around $350. Amazing what some folks will give away.

3 comments:

Timi said...

Great finds!!! You did score.
I love that Ben is going to be hooked now.
Timi

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

wow what deals you got!! those are fabulous!

Thanks so much for stopping by, I just finished the blackboard for the kitchen this morning :) and I know I'll use it all the time, or at least my kiddos will appreciate another place to scribble :)

Happy 2009! Hugs, Cynthia

Debra said...

I love the chair! That is neat that your son it into finding deals, too.

Oh, I LOVE the Santa things, too. What a deal.

Hope you're having a Happy New Year.