Friday, January 23, 2009

National Pie Day

Today is National Pie Day.
In honor of this, I will be making two pies for Joj's poker buddies to enjoy this evening. I used to be afraid of pie making, but my dear friend Megan shared the bestest, most foolproofest crust recipe and now I can make pie in my sleep.
I know I have posted these before, but they are worth a second look. If you have some time today (and for the pecan pie it is less than 15 minutes of prep, seriously) try your hand at some home baked pie. Your family and friends will think you are a pastry rock star.
So put on a frilly apron and a string of pearls and start baking. If you need more inspiration hop on over to Warm Pie, Happy Home and check out what RuthAnn has in the oven. I'm sure it is to die for.
Happy Friday Everyone!!
:0)


Never Fail Pie Crust
1 1/2 C shortening (I use butter flavor crisco)
3 C flour
1 t salt
Pulse in Cuisinart until size of small peas
In a small bowl mix
1 large egg well beaten
1 T vinegar
5 T ice water
Add to flour mixture and pulse until a ball forms. This is enough for one 9" 2 crust pie or 2 single crust pies.I usually roll it between to sheets of waxpaper. Much easier to handle and much less mess


Perfect Pecan Pie
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 C dark brown sugar (you could use light)
1 C light Karo Syrup
1/3 C melted butter
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 C pecans (I usually only chop 3/4 C and use the rest to decorate the top
1 9" unbaked deep dish pie crust
Preheat oven to 350
mix butter, sugar, vanilla and syrup
when cooled add eggs and mix well
add chopped nuts and pour into shell
place unchopped whole nuts on top in pretty design
bake 50-55 minutes
let stand a few hours to completely cool and set up
Serve with whipped cream or the stuff from the can we call "SHHHHHHHHH"


Best Ever Lemon Pie [Source: Ann Landers]
1 baked 9-inch pie shell
1-1/4 cups sugar
6 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cups water
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1-1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 tsp vinegar
3 Tbsp butter
Mix sugar and cornstarch together in the top of a double broiler. Add the two cups of water
Combine egg yolks with lemon juice and beat until well mixed
Add to the rest of the sugar mixture
Cook over boiling water until thick, about 25 minutes. This does away with the starchy taste
Now, add the lemon extract, butter and vinegar, and stir thoroughly.
Pour mixture into deep 9-inch pie shell and let cool
Cover with meringue (recipe follows), and brown in oven
Never-Fail MeringueIngredients:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Blend cornstarch and cold water in a saucepan
Add boiling water and cook, stirring until clear and thickened
Let stand until completely cold
With electric beater at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy
Gradually add sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry
Turn mixer to low speed; add salt and vanilla
Gradually beat in cold cornstarch mixture
Turn mixer again to high again, and beat well
Spread meringue over cooled pie filling
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until top is lightly browned

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yum. I wish I lived nearby.

Timi said...

You make pretty pies! That's an art. My mother makes really pretty pies and I have never gotten the hang of it. I guess I need to paractice.
Now I need to go make pie! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.