Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Zoom, zoom, zoom

Once again, the days have zoomed past.
Our anniversary was really fun. We went to dinner here and saw our good friend Paul who manages the place. He took very good care of us and of course the food was delish!! I broke down and had the steak. Joji got the halibut and we swapped half way through. I wish halibut wasn't so expensive, it is sooo good. I don't know why I don't cook more fish. It is so easy and good for you. I may need to send Joji fishing so he can stock my freezer. Anyway, dinner was great and we arranged for our friends to shuttle us to and from the restaurant so we could let our hair down. Now I have know Joji since I was 14 and I have never seen him "with his hair down" if you know what I mean. He is the responsible one who makes sure everyone else is okay. It was a little funny to see him so giddy. He just sat in the backseat and giggled the whole way home. Joji is not a giggler so it was extra funny.

On Saturday I was able to exercise my cat wrangling skills as the preschool took part in the Jr. Daffodil parade. It was so much fun and the weather held which is RARE!! We had a lot of folks show up and it was a real hoot. The theme was something like "The Daffodil Storybook" so the kids were encouraged to dress up. Sammie was rocking her best Snow White, but of course decided last minuted that she didn't want to wear it and of course her coat was in the car. Luckily we had gotten a pretty good parking spot so it wasn't too much of a hike.

The parade went pretty smoothly considering we had 15 3 and 4 year olds on bikes and scooters. Of course we had a nazi mom encounter. We were lined up behind some dance troop and she was very upset that some of the kids were too close to them. She turned to me and informed me that I needed to control the kids and keep them back. Well, I had to put down my bonbons and tell the slave boys to quit fanning me. It never occurred to me to try and keep the kids corralled. It was a good thing she was there to point this out.
Once we got going (and the 50 foot spacer was in place) the kids had a blast. My friends had dressed their kids up as the the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf. It was pretty cute especially when the piggies made a break for it and the wolf (the older brother) tried to catch them so they wouldn't interferer with the dance troop. Even though our walk of glory only lasted less than 10 minutes, it was really fun. Once the parade was over it was off to the cabin.
Since Ben had baseball and Holly had to work, we ended going up in shifts. Matt, the little kids and I went up early to get everything ready. Joji, Holly and Ben were coming up later after work and baseball. Now our cabin is not big, but the property is so Enzo and Sam had lots of room to run and explore. They built a fort (and by they I mean Matt) they threw rocks in the river and just played. The cable was down and so there was no tv and I don't think they even noticed. It was nice being outside (more times than not, it is raining and we are stuck inside)
I hadn't been up there in a long time. A year and half ago, there was a huge flood and we lost about 50 feet of our bank. The properly looks so different now. The flood washed a lot of the vegetation away as well so now it is more open, which is kind of nice, but it took a while to get used to. The upside, we were able to build a little fire pit in the front of the house overlooking the river. I can't wait for nicer weather as we plan to do some more "camping" up there. A kid free weekend is already in the works and should be fun.
On Monday the kids went back to school and the day was spent running random errands. I had a PTA executive board meeting and all I could think was how happy I will be when I am no longer on the PTA board. Not that is was a bad experience, I'm just ready to pass the torch and take a break. Tonight is the preschool board meeting and I hope it goes well. The great white tshirt debate of '08 has seemed to simmered down. Hopefully no one cares anymore and it won't even come up. It must be nice to live in a world where your biggest concern in life is if parliamentary procedure was followed. But I digress...
This week promises to be another busy one. I have double booked myself on both Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday I have a Teacher Appreciation Committee meeting and a field trip for Sam. I'm hoping to pawn off Sam so I can go to my meeting, but most likely we will just bail on the field trip or try and go with another class. On Thursday, I'm scheduled to work in Sam's class, but she won't be there. She will be at the dentist. Joy of joys. Her last day is May 16 and I can't wait.
Ben just got up and I probably should feed him and get him ready for school. Although it is only 6:20 and I probably could talk him into going back to bed. Yup, that is the plan. I hope everyone has a good week. I look forward to getting all caught up on everyone's going ons. Kate tagged me before the weekend and I will post that later today. It is a good one, but does require a little bit of thought.
Happy Tuesday!! :0)

1 comment:

Shabbee Chick said...

Hey Laurie Anne!

You didn't win the bloggie makeover :( but send me an email and I'll give you some other great news!

Amber :)