Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Ramblings


So last weekend was Mother's Day. The second Sunday in May when you are supposed to be nice to your mom. I must say that while it is nice, I would rather be spoiled when I really need it. Like today.
Last night I got a bad case of food poisoning (I think I have seen my last club sandwich for a while) and I was so grateful that Joji jumped in and took care of everything. Ben had some egg drop project, there was no food in the house and I was completely out of commission. He went to the store, helped Ben build three prototypes and even brought me home a DQ slushy. He even got out the ice crusher to make ice chips for me. He also worked from home today to look after Sam so I could recoup. What a guy :0)


Since I was feeling better today, I did manage a little gardening. A lot of bloggers have shared their tips for frugal gardening. My tip is to use what you have. I always liked on Decorating Cents when they would do a 'interior redesign' using the homeowners stuff. It was amazing on what they could do. Well, I have tried to apply some of the strategies in my garden.

When we first moved in, there was nothing in my backyard except for 1 rhodie and 3 hydrangeas. I planted like crazy to fill up the beds. Well, now everything is over grown and crowded. Last summer I had some additional flower beds put in and now I have a place to move some of the stuff that was getting crowded. It has been very rewarding to take a plant that looks "not so hot" and make it a focal point. What a difference. I'm trying very hard to "layer" the beds so that there will be lots of interest and texture. I wish I had done a better job of labeling my plants. I have a few dahlias coming up, but I don't know what color they are. I was going to divide them, but I didn't want to plant something I didn't like or wouldn't go. Oh well, they are growing like weeds right now, so soon I will know. It is very exciting.

Another great frugal gardening tip is steal from your mom :0) The other day I was over at my mom's house helping her replant her hanging baskets and planters. Some of the plants actually wintered over, so we divided them up and I took some home. I planted some creeping charlie in my door bucket. I love it. I usually have some silk hydrangeas in there, but this looks so much better. Plus it has a nice aroma, almost like a lemony sage. Very fun.

Anyhoo, I hope the sun is shining where you are and you are able to go play in the dirt. I'm off to catch a little nap. I have regain my strength because tomorrow is a very fun garage sale just down the street. She has the cutest vintage, shabby, just plain fun stuff and her prices are usually a steal. Happy Friday :0)

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I love that door bucket. As you know, I am frugal gardener lady this year too. And I too planted like crazy when I moved in this house. And now everything is overgrown and I'm trying to "fix" it all and move things and make more sense of it. Wish me luck and good luck to you!

~*Marie*~ said...

Eww, hope you are feeling better soon, that is the worst. Glad you got out in the gardens! That is always fun! Have a great relaxing weekend!

Timi said...

Thanks Laurie Ann for the story. I love it! I'm getting ready to post the prize pictures. Tell your friends about the contest. It's going to be fun.

I wish you lived closer. I have a yard full of flowers I'm going to get rid of. It's too much for someone who dosen't know what they are doing or has the desire. I'm a container gardner.
Enjoy this beautiful Washington Day
Timi

WSU Laura said...

I am glad you are feeling better. Nothing worse than food poisoning. Can you believe this weather?! Your garden sounds gorgeous. I need to get out into the back yard and start thinning out too. Have a wonderful weekend in the sun.

Shabbee Chick said...

Oh no! Hope you are feeling better by now! I've had food poisoning before and it. is. not. fun.

So sorry!