Monday, May 12, 2008

One fun weekend

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. I did. We didn't do anything special, just worked in the yard. Joji and the kids got me a super sweet camp chair (complete with cup holder)from REI, Sam painted a flower pot with mystery flower growing in it and Ben made me some toaster tweezers (so I won't burn my fingers). We ended up going to my mom's for dinner, which was nice since I didn't have to cook. My brother flew up to surprise my mom so it was nice to have everyone together. It was also nice for the M's to FINALLY get a win. It was breast cancer day at Safeco and so the players used pink bats. I'm must say it is a bit tough to look intimidating holding a pink day-glo bat, but whatever works... Anyway, dinner was good (how can steak and potatoes not be good) and I brought some cookies over for dessert.

They could not be easier to make and the lemon makes the white chocolate a little less sweet.
WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP LEMON COOKIES

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, softened

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

2 teaspoon lemon extract

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 package (12 ounces) white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment.

Beat margarine and sugars with electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and lemon extract and beat until fluffy. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add gradually to butter mixture and beat well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on sheet for 2 minutes, transfer to wire racks to cool.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

On Saturday was a big local garage sale. I look forward to this sale every year. Last year, my buddy Jessica and her hubby came down and we made a day of it. This year, no Jessica and Bob. It wasn't as fun, but I got some screaming deals.
Of course, Ben had a 9am game. So my mom and I had to do some power shopping. The plan was to hit the "good houses" first and peruse the others and then come back after the game. While at one sale, I spied a very fun hutch at the sale next door. It was priced at $100. I liked, but not $100 liked. When we came back later that day to pick up a rocker my mom had bought, the hutch was still there and marked down to $50. Hmmmmmmmm. I asked if they would take $40 and he said yes!! I was so excited. My dining room has needed a hutch ever since Joji kidnapped my buffet for the tv. I've always wanted a little hutch. I have a million plates and now I have a place to display them. Of course, when I got it home the rest of my day was spent tyring to figure out what to put in it. I threw a few things in there just so it wouldn't look empty, but it definately needs some tweaking. It just makes my dining room look more finished. I have been searching craigslist for hutches for months, but they are all either way too huge or way too expensive. I still can't believe my hutch was only $40. It actually contains wood and is nice and heavy. Joji even liked it (he was concerned it would make the room feel cramped ~ he had been enjoying the emptiness especially when his buddies were over, but it is not deep at all so he gives it the thumbs up)

Now with garage sale season in full swing, I must make sure for everything that comes in at least 2 or better yet 3 things go out. Matt and Holly are having a garage sale in a couple of weeks and they said I could bring over stuff to sell. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks being ruthless. I'm going to play the "I'm moving" game. If I was moving, is this randome item move worthy? if not adios. I would love to reduce the contents of the house, by 50%. Ambititious, I know, but how great if it actually happened.

Today is another busy one. It is the class picnic for Sammie at a local park that has no covered area or bathrooms. It looks sunny now, so hopefully it will hold out. I'm also going to try and cram some testing in this morning. Holly has agreed to watch Sam. It is just so nice to have a kid swap buddy. It makes life so much easier. She has the kids today and I will be able to take her kids later this week.
Hopefully, I can finish all my testing by Tuesday.
Well, gotta run. Hope everyone has a good Monday :0)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that hutch, and the cookies look delish. Any chance of the recipe?

Kate xxx

~*Marie*~ said...

I love your hutch, and you got it for a great price. Mine was a hand me down and I had to refinish it, but you did great getting a great find!! You should post the cookie recipe, they look dee-lish!!!

Jenny said...

That certainly was a great find. Well done. Even better that Joji likes it!

I would love to reduce my house contents by 50%. But that is too ambitious for me.

Timi said...

Laurie Ann what is this weeding tool that WSU Laura speaks of?? I must have! I have a huge yard of weeds, I need all the help I can get!
Timi

Timi said...

Thank you for sending me info on the HULA HOE. I'm going to send The Hubs right out to get one and tell him how it's going to change his life! :-)
I have so many flowerbeds (here by the previous owners) and have come to learn I hate gardening. Love the flowers just don't love the process of getting there.
Thanks for the information
Timi

Little ol' Me said...

Hello, I just wanted to say that your blog is fab! I'll be back to read more for sure.

The hutch is a great find, especially for 50.00, and it looks really nice where you've placed it.

I can't wait to try your cookie recipe - YUM!
Tiffany

{oc cottage} said...

AWESOME hutch what a find! And what a deal!

M ^..^